I love a spicy, tangy barbecue recipe. Those of us following a plant-based lifestyle don’t typically feel welcome in most barbecue establishments but I sure do miss it! This recipe makes two healthy servings. If feeding more folks, double. If you are short on time, your favorite jar of barbecue sauces can be substituted for my recipe. Mine is sugar and additive free!
- ¾ Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 TBSP Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 TBSP Tomato Paste
- ¼ Cup Swerve Sweetener or your favorite Sugar Substitute
- 1 TSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- ½ TSP Onion Powder
- ½ TSP Smoked Paprika
- 1 TSP Chili Powder
- 1 TSP Cayenne Pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 Healthy Pinch Himalayan Salt
- 1 20 Ounce Can Jackfruit Buy HERE
- Preheat Oven to 400F and line baking sheet with parchment.
- Rinse and drain jackfruit. In a small pot bring water to boil and boil jackfruit for 15- 20 minutes or until tender. Chop thoroughly or pulse briefly in food processor until shredded. Set aside.
- Add all BBQ Sauce ingredients to a medium pot and whisk together. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together jackfruit and BBQ Sauce. Once combined transfer to baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Serve on your favorite buns with your favorite vegan coleslaw!