Lately it seems when my family gets together there are more vegans and vegetarians than meat eaters. This weekend I wanted to cook up a Mexican Fiesta for the gang and decided to make a huge batch of jackfruit tacos. If you don't know about the wonder that is jackfruit, check out my other posts HERE . It makes a fabulous substitute for chicken, pork, beef and even tuna! Extremely low in calories it is my favorite meat substitute. I usually boil jackfruit for my recipes so this was an experiment. Browsing the Mexican section of the market I just decided to wing it! My family loved the jackfruit tacos and I hope you do as well. Chipotle peppers add a smoky flavor and Tajin a traditional kick! You can feed a hungry army with this recipe so invite a crowd or freeze some for a convenient quick meal. I served mine with cilantro rice, black beans, and all of the traditional taco toppings.
Makes About 20 Tacos
- 3 20 Ounce Cans Jackfruit (Find it HERE )
- 1.5 Tablespoons Tajin Classico Seasoning (Find it HERE )
- 1 8 Ounce Jar Diced Chipotle Peppers
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves Pressed
- 2 15 Ounce Cans Petite Diced Tomatos
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Cut off hard pointy ends of jackfruit triangles.
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 8. Once jackfruit is tender, shred with two forks. It will look like shredded chicken.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Nutritional info for Jackfruit Taco filling. Does not include tortillas and toppings.