Hey Amazing peeps! Over the weekend I tried the most wonderful vegan lentil soup at a restaurant here in Las Vegas. It inspired me to create my own! As much as I loved it I am always suspicious of the ingredients in restaurant dishes. My guess is this delicious soup had plenty of oil, salt, MSG, and other unmentionables I don’t want to put in my body. I went to the drawing board and came up with this easy vegan lentil soup recipe I hope you enjoy. It is extra thick and hearty, so if you like a thinner soup, add extra vegetable broth. To make it easy, I used the frozen brown rice you can find just about anywhere these days. If you want to go the long route, feel free to steam up about 2 cups. Makes a huge pot so may want to freeze a few portions for a rainy day. Link included for Lentils I love!
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth (Low Sodium) + a few TBSNs for cooking veggies
- 1 1/2 Cup Lentils (I used red, I just love the golden color when cooked)
- 1 28 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes with water
- 3 Carrots diced
- 1 Med. Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/2 TSP Himalayan Salt
- 1 TSP Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 TSP Turmeric
- 1 TBSN Red Pepper Flakes (if you like it spicy, otherwise omit)
- 1 Pack Frozen Brown Rice prepared (About 2 Cups cooked rice)
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- In a large pot, add and heat a few tablespoons of veggie broth until hot. Add in onions, garlic and carrots. Cook until onions are tender.
- Add in Lentils, 6 Cups Veggie Broth, Tomatoes, turmeric, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer for 45 minutes or until carrots and lentils are tender.
- Add in Cooked Rice and nutritional yeast.